(1) Wang LL, Feng YQ, and Cheng YH. Effect on proliferation and apoptosis of retinoblastoma cell by RNA inhibiting high mobility group protein box-1 expression. Int J Ophthalmol. (2017) 10: 30-4.
(2) Zhang P, Tao X, Li P, and Ma L. miR-215 controls proliferation, invasion, and apoptosis of human retinoblastoma cells by regulating RB1 expression. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE. (2018) 11: 8978-87.
(3) Ding J and Lu X. Expression of miR-204 in pediatric retinoblastoma and its effects on proliferation and apoptosis of cancer cells. Oncol Lett. (2018) 16: 7152-7.
(4) Li M, Zhang D, Cheng J, Liang J, and Yu F. Ginsenoside Rh2 inhibits proliferation but promotes apoptosis and autophagy by down-regulating microRNA-638 in human retinoblastoma cells. Exp Mol Pathol. (2019) 108: 17-23.
(5) Liu M, Wang SM, Jiang ZX, Lauren H, and Tao LM. Effects of miR-22 on viability, migration, invasion and apoptosis in retinoblastoma Y79 cells by targeting high-mobility group box 1. Int J Ophthalmol. (2018) 11: 1600-7.
(6) Deng L, Li J, Lu S, and Su Y. Crocin inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis through suppressing MYCN expression in retinoblastoma. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. (2019) e22292.
(7) Qi D, Wang M, and Yu F. Knockdown of lncRNA-H19 inhibits cell viability, migration and invasion while promotes apoptosis via microRNA-143/RUNX2 axis in retinoblastoma. Biomed Pharmacother. (2019) 109: 798-805.
(8) Wang L, Yang X, Yang C, Gao J, Zhao Y, Cheng C, Zhao G, and Liu S. The inhibition effect of cold atmospheric plasma-activated media in cutaneous squamous carcinoma cells. Future Oncology. (2019) 15: 495-505.
(9) Szili EJ, Gaur N, Hong S-H, Kurita H, Oh J-S, Ito M, Mizuno A, Hatta A, Cowin AJ, and Graves DB. The assessment of cold atmospheric plasma treatment of DNA in synthetic models of tissue fluid, tissue and cells. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. (2017) 50: 274001.
(10) Binenbaum Y, Ben-David G, Gil Z, Slutsker YZ, Ryzhkov M, Felsteiner J, Krasik YE, and Cohen J. Cold atmospheric plasma, created at the tip of an elongated flexible capillary using low electric current, can slow the progression of melanoma. PloS one. (2017) 12: e0169457.
(11) Schneider C, Gebhardt L, Arndt S, Karrer S, Zimmermann JL, Fischer MJM, and Bosserhoff AK. Cold atmospheric plasma causes a calcium influx in melanoma cells triggering CAP-induced senescence. Sci Rep. (2018) 8: 10048.
(12) Gümbel D, Bekeschus S, Gelbrich N, Napp M, Ekkernkamp A, Kramer A, and Stope M. Cold atmospheric plasma in the treatment of osteosarcoma. International journal of molecular sciences. (2017) 18: 2004.
(13) Vermeylen S, De Waele J, Vanuytsel S, De Backer J, Van der Paal J, Ramakers M, Leyssens K, Marcq E, Van Audenaerde J, and LJ Smits E. Cold atmospheric plasma treatment of melanoma and glioblastoma cancer cells. Plasma Processes and Polymers. (2016) 13: 1195-205.
(14) Cheng X, Sherman J, Murphy W, Ratovitski E, Canady J, and Keidar M. The effect of tuning cold plasma composition on glioblastoma cell viability. PloS one. (2014) 9: e98652.
(15) Tabuchi Y, Uchiyama H, Zhao QL, Yunoki T, Andocs G, Nojima N, Takeda K, Ishikawa K, Hori M, and Kondo T. Effects of nitrogen on the apoptosis of and changes in gene expression in human lymphoma U937 cells exposed to argon-based cold atmospheric pressure plasma. Int J Mol Med. (2016) 37: 1706-14.
(16) Nguyen NH, Park HJ, Yang SS, Choi KS, and Lee JS. Anti-cancer efficacy of nonthermal plasma dissolved in a liquid, liquid plasma in heterogeneous cancer cells. Sci Rep. (2016) 6: 29020.
(17) Kim SJ and Chung T. Cold atmospheric plasma jet-generated RONS and their selective effects on normal and carcinoma cells. Scientific reports. (2016) 6: 20332.
(18) Grilo AL and Mantalaris A. Apoptosis: A mammalian cell bioprocessing perspective. Biotechnology advances. (2019) 37: 459-75.
(19) Gilmore A and King L. Emerging approaches to target mitochondrial apoptosis in cancer cells. F1000Research. (2019) 8:
(20) Carneiro BA and El-Deiry WS. Targeting apoptosis in cancer therapy. Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology. (2020) 1-23.
(21) Dwivedi R, Pandey R, Chandra S, and Mehrotra D. Apoptosis and genes involved in oral cancer-a comprehensive review. Oncology Reviews. (2020) 14:
(22) Seydi E, Rasekh HR, Salimi A, Mohsenifar Z, and Pourahmad J. Selective Toxicity of Apigenin on Cancerous Hepatocytes by Directly Targeting their Mitochondria. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. (2016) 16: 1576-86.
(23) Seydi E, Salimi A, Rasekh HR, Mohsenifar Z, and Pourahmad J. Selective Cytotoxicity of Luteolin and Kaempferol on Cancerous Hepatocytes Obtained from Rat Model of Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Involvement of ROS-Mediated Mitochondrial Targeting. Nutr Cancer. (2018) 70: 594-604.
(24) Zhang W, Hu X, Shen Q, and Xing D. Mitochondria-specific drug release and reactive oxygen species burst induced by polyprodrug nanoreactors can enhance chemotherapy. Nat Commun. (2019) 10: 1704.
(25) Chen C, Zhou Y, Hu C, Wang Y, Yan Z, Li Z, and Wu R. Mitochondria and oxidative stress in ovarian endometriosis. Free Radic Biol Med. (2019) 136: 22-34.
(26) Sareen D, van Ginkel PR, Takach JC, Mohiuddin A, Darjatmoko SR, Albert DM, and Polans AS. Mitochondria as the primary target of resveratrol-induced apoptosis in human retinoblastoma cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. (2006) 47: 3708-16.
(27) Laurie N, Mohan A, McEvoy J, Reed D, Zhang J, Schweers B, Ajioka I, Valentine V, Johnson D, Ellison D, and Dyer MA. Changes in retinoblastoma cell adhesion associated with optic nerve invasion. Mol Cell Biol. (2009) 29: 6268-82.
(28) Zhao Y, Ye L, Liu H, Xia Q, Zhang Y, Yang X, and Wang K. Vanadium compounds induced mitochondria permeability transition pore (PTP) opening related to oxidative stress. J Inorg Biochem. (2010) 104: 371-8.
(29) Seydi E, Rahimpour Z, Salimi A, and Pourahmad J. Selective toxicity of chrysin on mitochondria isolated from liver of a HCC rat model. Bioorg Med Chem. (2019) 27: 115163.
(30) Baracca A, Sgarbi G, Solaini G, and Lenaz G. Rhodamine 123 as a probe of mitochondrial membrane potential: evaluation of proton flux through F(0) during ATP synthesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. (2003) 1606: 137-46.
(31) Zhang Q, Zhao XH, and Wang ZJ. Flavones and flavonols exert cytotoxic effects on a human oesophageal adenocarcinoma cell line (OE33) by causing G2/M arrest and inducing apoptosis. Food Chem Toxicol. (2008) 46: 2042-53.
(32) Zhang F, Xu Z, Gao J, Xu B, and Deng Y. In-vitro effect of manganese chloride exposure on energy metabolism and oxidative damage of mitochondria isolated from rat brain. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. (2008) 26: 232-6.
(33) Pourahmad J, Kobarfard F, and SHAKOURI A. Lysosomal oxidative stress cytotoxicity induced by para-phenylenediamine redox cycling in hepatocytes. (2004)
(34) Brunk UT, Zhang H, Roberg K, and Ollinger K. Lethal hydrogen peroxide toxicity involves lysosomal iron-catalyzed reactions with membrane damage. Redox Rep. (1995) 1: 267-77.
(35) Wu XZ, Cui HP, Lv HJ, and Feng L. Knockdown of lncRNA PVT1 inhibits retinoblastoma progression by sponging miR-488-3p. Biomed Pharmacother. (2019) 112: 108627.
(36) Yang Y and Peng XW. The silencing of long non-coding RNA ANRIL suppresses invasion, and promotes apoptosis of retinoblastoma cells through the ATM-E2F1 signaling pathway. Biosci Rep. (2018) 38:
(37) Xiong Y, Liu W, Huang Q, Wang J, Wang Y, Li H, and Fu X. Tigecycline as a dual inhibitor of retinoblastoma and angiogenesis via inducing mitochondrial dysfunctions and oxidative damage. Sci Rep. (2018) 8: 11747.
(38) Bekeschus S, Lin A, Fridman A, Wende K, Weltmann K-D, and Miller V. A Comparison of Floating-Electrode DBD and kINPen Jet: plasma parameters to achieve similar growth reduction in colon cancer cells under standardized conditions. Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing. (2018) 38: 1-12.
(39) Goto Y, Ando T, Naito M, Goto H, and Hamajima N. No association of an SDHC gene polymorphism with gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. (2006) 7: 525-8.
(40) Hiramoto F, Nomura N, Furumai T, Oki T, and Igarashi Y. Apoptosis-like cell death of Saccharomyces cerevisiae induced by a mannose-binding antifungal antibiotic, pradimicin. J Antibiot (Tokyo). (2003) 56: 768-72.
(41) Pant K, Yadav AK, Gupta P, Islam R, Saraya A, and Venugopal SK. Butyrate induces ROS-mediated apoptosis by modulating miR-22/SIRT-1 pathway in hepatic cancer cells. Redox Biol. (2017) 12: 340-9.
(42) Cruz-Galvez CC, Ortiz-Lazareno PC, Pedraza-Brindis EJ, Villasenor-Garcia MM, Reyes-Uribe E, Bravo-Hernandez A, Solis-Martinez RA, Cancino-Marentes M, Rodriguez-Padilla C, Bravo-Cuellar A, and Hernandez-Flores G. Pentoxifylline Enhances the Apoptotic Effect of Carboplatin in Y79 Retinoblastoma Cells. In-vivo . (2019) 33: 401-12.
(43) Kaushik NK, Kaushik N, Wahab R, Bhartiya P, Linh NN, Khan F, Al-Khedhairy AA, and Choi EH. Cold Atmospheric Plasma and Gold Quantum Dots Exert Dual Cytotoxicity Mediated by the Cell Receptor-Activated Apoptotic Pathway in Glioblastoma Cells. Cancers. (2020) 12: 457.
(44) Xia J, Zeng W, Xia Y, Wang B, Xu D, Liu D, Kong MG, and Dong Y. Cold atmospheric plasma induces apoptosis of melanoma cells via Sestrin2‐mediated nitric oxide synthase signaling. Journal of biophotonics. (2019) 12: e201800046.
(45) Haralambiev L, Wien L, Gelbrich N, Lange J, Bakir S, Kramer A, Burchardt M, Ekkernkamp A, Gümbel D, and Stope MB. Cold atmospheric plasma inhibits the growth of osteosarcoma cells by inducing apoptosis, independent of the device used. Oncology letters. (2020) 19: 283-90.
(46) Xu S, Wang Y, Que Y, Ma C, Cai S, Wang H, Yang X, Yang C, Cheng C, and Zhao G. Cold atmospheric plasma‑activated Ringer's solution inhibits the proliferation of osteosarcoma cells through the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway. Oncology Reports. (2020) 43: 1683-91.
(47) Chen Q, Vazquez EJ, Moghaddas S, Hoppel CL, and Lesnefsky EJ. Production of reactive oxygen species by mitochondria: central role of complex III. J Biol Chem. (2003) 278: 36027-31.
(48) Wang L, Duan Q, Wang T, Ahmed M, Zhang N, Li Y, Li L, and Yao X. Mitochondrial respiratory chain inhibitors involved in ROS production induced by acute high concentrations of iodide and the effects of SOD as a protective factor. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. (2015) 2015:
(49) Pourahmad J, Amirmostofian M, Kobarfard F, and Shahraki J. Biological reactive intermediates that mediate dacarbazine cytotoxicity. Cancer chemotherapy and pharmacology. (2009) 65: 89-96.
(50) Pourahmad J, Hosseini M-J, Bakan S, and Ghazi-Khansari M. Hepatoprotective activity of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, captopril and enalapril, against paraquat toxicity. Pesticide biochemistry and physiology. (2011) 99: 105-10.
(51) Cirman T, Orešić K, Mazovec GD, Turk V, Reed JC, Myers RM, Salvesen GS, and Turk B. Selective disruption of lysosomes in HeLa cells triggers apoptosis mediated by cleavage of Bid by multiple papain-like lysosomal cathepsins. Journal of Biological Chemistry. (2004) 279: 3578-87.
(52) Zhang H, Zhong C, Shi L, Guo Y, and Fan Z. Granulysin induces cathepsin B release from lysosomes of target tumor cells to attack mitochondria through processing of bid leading to Necroptosis. The Journal of Immunology. (2009) 182: 6993-7000.