(1) Haigis MC and Sinclair DA. Mammalian sirtuins: biological insights and disease relevance. Annu. Rev. Pathol. (2010) 5: 253-95.
(2) Verdin E. The many faces of sirtuins: Coupling of NAD metabolism, sirtuins and lifespan. Nat. Med. (2014) 20: 25-7.
(3) Nakagawa T and Guarente L. Sirtuins at a glance. J Cell Sci. (2011) 124: 833-8.
(4) Lombard DB, Tishkoff DX and Bao J. Mitochondrial sirtuins in the regulation of mitochondrial activity and metabolic adaptation. Handb. Exp. Pharmacol. (2011) 206: 163-88.
(5) Bause AS and Haigis MC. SIRT3 regulation of mitochondrial oxidative stress. Exp. Gerontol. (2013) 48: 634-9.
(6) Yu W, Dittenhafer-Reed KE and Denu JM. SIRT3 protein deacetylates isocitrate dehydrogenase 2 (IDH2) and regulates mitochondrial redox status. J. Biol. Chem. (2012) 287: 14078-86.
(7) Zhang L, Han L, Ma R, Hou X, Yu Y, Sun S, Xu Y, Schedl T, Moley KH and Wang Q. Sirt3 prevents maternal obesity-associated oxidative stress and meiotic defects in mouse oocytes. Cell Cycle. (2015) 14: 2959-68.
(8) Kwak SS, Cheong SA, Yoon JD, Jeon Y and Hyun SH. Expression patterns of sirtuin genes in porcine preimplantation embryos and effects of sirtuin inhibitors on in-vitro embryonic development after parthenogenetic activation and in-vitro fertilization. Theriogenology (2012) 78: 1597-610.
(9) Tatone C, Di Emidio G, Vitti M, Di Carlo M, Santini S, Jr., D'Alessandro AM, Falone S and Amicarelli F. Sirtuin Functions in Female Fertility: Possible Role in Oxidative Stress and Aging. Oxid. Med. Cell Longev. (2015) 2015: 659687.
(10) Badawy A and Elnashar A. Treatment options for polycystic ovary syndrome. Int. J. Womens Health (2011) 3: 25-35.
(11) Witchel SF, Oberfield SE and Pena AS. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Pathophysiology, Presentation, and Treatment With Emphasis on Adolescent Girls. J. Endocr. Soc. (2019) 3: 1545-73.
(12) Radosh L. Drug treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome. Am. Fam. Physician. (2009) 79: 671-6.
(13) Costello MF, Garad RM, Hart R, Homer H, Johnson L, Jordan C, Mocanu E, Qiao J, Rombauts L, Teede HJ, Vanky E, Venetis CA and Ledger WL. A Review of Second- and Third-line Infertility Treatments and Supporting Evidence in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Med. Sci. (Basel). (2019) 7:
(14) Murri M, Luque-Ramirez M, Insenser M, Ojeda-Ojeda M and Escobar-Morreale HF. Circulating markers of oxidative stress and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum. Reprod. Update (2013) 19: 268-88.
(15) Hyderali BN and Mala K. Oxidative stress and cardiovascular complications in polycystic ovarian syndrome. Eur. J. Obstet Gynecol. Reprod Biol. (2015) 191: 15-22.
(16) Prasad S, Tiwari M, Pandey AN, Shrivastav TG and Chaube SK. Impact of stress on oocyte quality and reproductive outcome. J. Biomed. Sci. (2016) 23: 36.
(17) Vermey BG, Chua SJ, Zafarmand MH, Wang R, Longobardi S, Cottell E, Beckers F, Mol BW, Venetis CA and D'Hooghe T. Is there an association between oocyte number and embryo quality? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Reprod Biomed. Online (2019) 39: 751-63.
(18) Huang Y, Yu Y, Gao J, Li R, Zhang C, Zhao H, Zhao Y and Qiao J. Impaired oocyte quality induced by dehydroepiandrosterone is partially rescued by metformin treatment. PLoS One (2015) 10: e0122370.
(19) Chen C, Yan Q, Liu K, Zhou X, Xian Y, Liang D, Zhao X, Guo X and Quan S. Endometrial Receptivity Markers in Mice Stimulated With Raloxifene Versus Clomiphene Citrate and Natural Cycles. Reprod Sci. (2016) 23: 748-55.
(20) Cecchino GN, Seli E, Alves da Motta EL and Garcia-Velasco JA. The role of mitochondrial activity in female fertility and assisted reproductive technologies: overview and current insights. Reprod Biomed. Online (2018) 36: 686-97.
(21) Takeuchi T, Neri QV, Katagiri Y, Rosenwaks Z and Palermo GD. Effect of treating induced mitochondrial damage on embryonic development and epigenesis. Biol. Reprod. (2005) 72: 584-92.
(22) Igosheva N, Abramov AY, Poston L, Eckert JJ, Fleming TP, Duchen MR and McConnell J. Maternal diet-induced obesity alters mitochondrial activity and redox status in mouse oocytes and zygotes. PLoS One (2010) 5: e10074.
(23) Chakraborty A, Chowdhury S and Bhattacharyya M. Effect of metformin on oxidative stress, nitrosative stress and inflammatory biomarkers in type 2 diabetes patients. Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. (2011) 93: 56-62.
(24) Kocer D, Bayram F and Diri H. The effects of metformin on endothelial dysfunction, lipid metabolism and oxidative stress in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol. Endocrinol. (2014) 30: 367-71.
(25) Wu SS, Kor CT, Chen TY, Liu KH, Shih KL, Su WW and Wu HM. Relationships between Serum Uric Acid, Malondialdehyde Levels, and Carotid Intima-Media Thickness in the Patients with Metabolic Syndrome. Oxid. Med. Cell Longev. (2019) 2019: 6859757.
(26) Zhao HC, Ding T, Ren Y, Li TJ, Li R, Fan Y, Yan J, Zhao Y, Li M, Yu Y and Qiao J. Role of Sirt3 in mitochondrial biogenesis and developmental competence of human in-vitro matured oocytes. Hum. Reprod. (2016) 31: 607-22.
(27) Kawamura Y, Uchijima Y, Horike N, Tonami K, Nishiyama K, Amano T, Asano T, Kurihara Y, and Kurihara H. Sirt3 protects in-vitro-fertilized mouse preimplantation embryos against oxidative stress-induced p53-mediated developmental arrest. J. Clin. Invest. (2010) 120: 2817-28.
(28) Legro RS, Barnhart HX, Schlaff WD, Carr BR, Diamond MP, Carson SA, Steinkampf MP, Coutifaris C, McGovern PG, Cataldo NA, Gosman GG, Nestler JE, Giudice LC, Leppert PC, Myers ER and Cooperative Multicenter Reproductive Medicine N. Clomiphene, metformin, or both for infertility in the polycystic ovary syndrome. N. Engl. J. Med. (2007) 356: 551-66.
(29) Liu X, Zhang L, Wang P, Li X, Qiu D, Li L, Zhang J, Hou X, Han L, Ge J, Li M, Gu L and Wang Q. Sirt3-dependent deacetylation of SOD2 plays a protective role against oxidative stress in oocytes from diabetic mice. Cell Cycle. (2017) 16: 1302-8.